Many times the garden get destroyed due to violent and rubbing feet of chickens. In short period these feathery friends can cause the mess in your garden by crushing and digging. Do you face the same issues, then no need to worry at all? In this article, you will get the full guidance regarding how to keep chickens out of your yard or garden so let’s proceed with the discussion.
How to Keep Chickens Out of Garden
- Keep the chickens away- If you see chickens in your garden then make use of the hose to spray water on them in light pressure. Sprinkle spices like cinnamon, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper or the blend of these spices to the boundary of your garden, or you may also scatter the spices on the ground or in between the plants.
- Make use of wire cloth and fences- Spread the wire material on the field to save your plantlets and broad area of a garden as chicks’ dislike to walk on wires. It will serve as the chicken repellent. You can also put up a fence around the plants, so that feathery flocks do not destroy plant life. The barrier made up of chicken wire will be proved to be efficient and easy going. You can also make use of tomato cage to get rid of chickens.
- Bricks and stones- Chickens like to kick the soil out of the pot so to stop this activity take help of bricks and larger stones. Around the base of the plant if you keep bricks and larger stones then it will not allow scrabbling.
- Role of Weeds- Chickens get attracted to the bare ground, gardens with bare soil so area full of weeds and other types of plants will check the presence of chicks as they won’t feel comfortable in the area full of wild plants.
- Planned Planting- In tiny gaps plant your flower seeds so that chickens would not be able to make their place in these small spaces. If chicks don’t disturb the plants, then they can grow easily. In this way, you can keep your chickens out of your flower beds.
- Apt plants for your yard- If you give importance to tall plants in your garden, then it will not allow the entry of chicks in your backyard. Plants with thorns like roses or sunflower plant possessing strong stems will keep the chickens out of the garden.
- Use of containers for planting- If you use containers for planting then it will make difficult for the chicks to disturb the plant as they need more efforts to reach the plant grown in large containers. You can take advantage of this approach for some specific plants in which you think extra care is required.
- Controlled ranging- If you keep chickens in your yard then it would be wise to buy the chicken coop for your dear flocks as they would be maintained safely over there. In the evening let them move around your garden so that they can enjoy some fresh air. Make sure you remain vigilant while they roam in the garden so that they don’t harm your garden.
All the above steps will provide safety to your yard and garden from the reach of the chickens that may cause damage to your flora if you don’t pay attention to it. It is challenging for the gardeners to check the entry of chickens in the garden so that they can maintain the healthy condition of the garden. The aggressive chicks can cause severe damage to your garden and delicate flowers, but there is a solution to every problem so all the above strategies will provide you relief.